So, I had a craving for egglplant parm. I looked online and then adapted those that I found to the gluten free versioning!
Gluten free bread crumbs (I use Whole Foods' -in house baked prarie bread)
2 24oz jars of spaghetti sauce (cheating method, I do NOT make my own!) (I also pick the ones that are spiced to my liking, so I don't add many other spices)
One medium-large sized eggplant
1 16oz package of part-skim mozzarela cheese, grated by hand (I never trust the pre-grated soft cheeses, b/c they add ingredients to keep from clumping--that I worry are NOT gluten free. SO I always grate soft cheeses myself)
about 1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (yes, I use reggiano)
1 32oz container of part-skim ricotta cheese (add whatever spices to ricotta if you like-I actually don't add any, b/c I add my fav spaghetti sauce)
2 eggs (beaten and in a bowl)
Olive oil as needed for saute/baking eggplant
9"x13" baking pan
Optional: mushrooms, carrots, other veggie favs.
OR if you want meet in the eggplant parm, some gluten free sausage, fried and broken up outside of casings, or ground beef/turkey. I've even used leftover cooked chicken, finely diced.
Bread crumbs
First, you need to make bread crumbs. I take the prarie bread broken pieces and ends and toss them onto a cookie sheet and leave baking in the oven (at about 225), turning once, until they are crispified (hard), BUT NOT BURNT. That is why you cook on such a low temp, for what seems like forever. Just keep an eye on them as they are hardening up. Once hardened, let cool. Toss into the blender/food processor, or if you are desparate and without either of these items, into a doubled plastic bag and blend/pound the heck out of the bread, until you have crumbs to the size of your liking. I like mine finely ground. Beauty for this is that, whatever you don't use, toss into a ziploc and throw into the freezer for next time.
Preparing egglant
Cut up eggplant cross ways/long ways, whatever you like. Now there are 2 ways to prepare...one is in the oven and one is on the stove top. Oven is less fatty, but, honestly, less flavorful. And the stovetop is messy, but good. Either way, dip your eggplant into eggs, then into bread crumbs and either saute' in pan until crispy on both sides, or bake in oven (325-350) with olive oil sprayed on surface to keep from sticking, turning once, until crispy on both sides.
Stacking in your baking pan
Ok, so I don't coat the pan w/ anything, and this is my order...but you can do it anyway you want and until you run out of fixin's.
sauce
eggplant
(optional bits)
ricotta
mozz cheese
sauce
repeat as necessary, I usually have 2 or 3 layers...
last layer should be sauce, with small amt of mozz and the parm.
Cover w/ tin foil. Bake at 350 for about 60 minutes. I must say, though that the last one took 90+ minutes. If the cheese is melted when you take off foil, great. If not, take it off and pop it back in oven for a few minutes, until it does.
Cool about 10 minutes, enjoy!!!
Deb
No comments:
Post a Comment